Department of ZoologyGo Back
The Post Graduate Department of Zoology was born on 21st July, 1960 with Prof. B. K. Behura as the founder Professor at the historic Ravenshaw College (presently Ravenshaw University), Cuttack, Odisha. The Department was shifted to the Utkal University Campus on 12th July, 1973 and since then the Department has been imparting teaching and training students in various emerging areas of Zoology. In the meantime, the Department has grown 55 Years old and has celebrated the Golden Jubilee in the year 2010. Notwithstanding the highs and lows during these 55 years, the department has earned many laurels and has made a name in Zoology in the national arena. The department offers regular courses in M. Sc., M. Phil. and Ph.D. in Zoology, and a sponsored course in M.Sc. Fishery Science. Our faculty and students continue to contribute towards updating and upgrading the curriculum. This has resulted in getting the DRS (UGC), FIST (DST) and PURSE (DST) status by the Department.
To achieve excellence in higher education, research and innovation in the areas of Zoology and to remain sensitive and responsive to the changing needs of the society
- To create, innovate and disseminate knowledge in Zoological science.
- To provide state of art infrastructure and conducive environment for students and faculty to produce globally competent professionals.
- To conserve faunal diversity through sustainable approach.
- To inculcate morality, ethics and humanity among the young minds.
Name : Prafulla Kumar Mohanty
Designation : Professor
Qualification : M.Sc, M.Phil, Ph.D, MADE, CC in German
Phone No. : 0674 -2567483, +91-9238571378
E-mail ID : Prafulla.email@example.com
Name : Pravati Kumari Mahapatra
Designation : Professor & HEAD
Qualification : Ph.D
Phone No. : 06742545882 / +91-9437281982
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Name : Gunanidhi Sahoo
Designation : Reader
Qualification : M. Sc., M. Phil. and Ph. D.
Phone No. : +91-9438328039
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Name : Sudhansu Sekhar Nishank
Designation : Lecturer
Qualification : M.Sc., Ph.D.
Phone No. : +91-9853535258/9806830650
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Seminar Library
- Study tour
- Major equipments : UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, HPLC, Thermal Cycler, Gel Doc, Fluorescent Microscope, Deep Freezer (-200C), Stereo microscope with camera attachment, BOD incubator, Laminar air flow, floor standing Refrigerated Centrifuge, ELISA Reader, Refrigerated Table Top Centrifuge, Water bath with thermostat
- ICT enabled Lecture Room, Seminar Library, Seminar Room, Laboratory, Computer Lab
Students Achievements (2010-16)
- CSIR Net Qualified-25, Fulbright Nehru Fellowship-1, GATE-11, State PSC-41, Service Selection Board-23, TFR-RF-2, RGNF-1, ICMR-NET-2, Agriculture Scientist Recruitment Board-NET-1, NFHE (UGC)-1 Civil Service-1 during 2010-16
- Fellowship from: Institute of Mathematics-61, UGC Rank holder-9, Dept. of Higher Education (Orissa)-28, Prerana (Govt. of Orissa)-7, Prana Krushna Parija-7
- Prof. A. K. Patra: Sikhya Ratna Award, 210-11 By India international Friendship Society
- Prof. P. K. Mohanty: National Honour Award, 2015 by Vivekananda Educational Sports & Cultural Organization, Jharkhand. Sukumar Sunanda Science Communication Award, 2013-14 by Odisha Bigyan Prachara Samiti
- Prof. P. K. Mahapatra: Dr. Mahamaya Patnaik Smruti Samman in 2013-14 by Odisha Bigyan Prachara Samiti.
- Dr. G. Sahoo: Erasmus Mundus India To Europe Fellowship, 2014-15
Faculty Achievements (Awards received during 2010-16)
- National seminar on “Advances in Cell Science”, Mar 30, 2012, DST, Govt. of India.
- INSPIRE programme for School Children, 5.10.2013, DST, in collaboration with Dept. of Geology, UU.
- National seminar on “Alternatives to Animal use”, Mar 22, 2014, DST, Govt. of India.
- National seminar on “Global climate change, sea level rise......resources management”, 28th March, 9 -10 2014, Ministry of Earth Science.
- Skill based workshop on “Applied Zoology”, Nov 18-19, 2015, DST-PURSE.
- National Conference on “Conservation of Eastern Ghats”, April 16-17, 2016, in collaboration with CGR, Hyderabad.
- State PSC-41, Service Selection Board-23, UPSC (Intelligence Officer)-1, Banking Service-15, Scientist and scientific officers (RMNH, FSL etc.): 12, Post Graduate teachers, Teachers in model schools , Govt. of Odisha, Technical Officer, Technical Assistant): 50(during the Year 2011-2016)
UTKAL UNIVERSITY ZOOLOGY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (UUZAA)
- Established in: 1999
- Registration Number: 1357-108 of 2006-07 dated:12.01.2007
- Alumni strength: 764 (142 patron, 590 life & 32 student members)
- Annual Alumni meet conducted on Feb. 1st Sunday of every year>/p>