Dr. Ranjan Kumar Bal
Name : Ranjan Kumar Bal
Designation : Professor
Qualification : M. Com., M. Phil., Ph.D., FDPM
Phone No. : +91-9437077178
E-mail ID : ranjan_bal(at)yahoo(dot)com
- Corporate Financial Reporting
- Research Methodology
- Ph. D.
- Awarded: 22
- Submitted: 03
- Continuing: 06
|1||A New Approach to Business Mathematics and Statistics (Part - II), S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-authors: P. K. Swain and B. Rath.|
|2||A New Approach to Business Mathematics and Statistics (Part - I), S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-authors: P. K. Swain and B. Rath.|
|3||A New Approach to Cost Accounting, S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-authors: P. K. Swain and B. Bal.|
|4||A New Approach to Accounting (Part - II), S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-author: S. Sahu.|
|5||A New Approach to Accounting (Part - I), S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-authors: S. Sahu and A. Dash.|
|6||A New Approach to Financial Accounting, S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, Co-authors: S. Sahu and A. Dash.|
|1||Associated as Member, Board of Studies of Osmania University, Hyderabad, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, North-East Hill University, Shillong and Mizoram Central University, Aizawl.|
|2||Associated with three Central Universities, One NIT and many State Universities in India for their faculty selection and syllabus preparation in the last three years.|
|3||Managing Editor, Utkal Business Review, 2009-10.|
|4||Managing Editor, The Orissa Journal of Commerce, Journal of the Orissa Commerce Association (2007-2012).|
|5||Associated as Resource Person with UGC NET Workshop and Research Funding Council, UGC, New Delhi.|
|6||Orissa Commerce Association, Manapatra, 28th Annual Conference, 2008.|
|7||Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education, Felicitation, December 9, 2010.|
|8||Best Professor in Finance and Youth Services Award for 2011 by Vivekananda Institute of Social Work and Social Sciences (VISWASS), April 26, 2011.|
|9||President of two large professional associations, e.g., Indian Accounting Association and Odisha Commerce Association.|
- Teaching Experience
- 31 years of P.G. teaching experience. (Taught M.Com., M. Phil., Ph.D., M.F.C. and MBA students in the P.G. Department of Business Administration, 1984-1990 as its first faculty member, and P.G. Department of Commerce.
- Industry Experience
- 3 years in Banking Industry: (1980-83) in Andhra Bank and Reserve Bank of India.
- Training Experience
- Resource Person in Training Programs and Refresher Courses organised by Gopabandhu Academy of Administration Bhubaneswar, Judicial Academy Cuttack, IIPM Kansbahal, XIMB, Sri Sri University, UGC-Academic Staff College for Refresher Courses and Orientation Courses in Utkal University, North-Eastern Hill University, Banaras Hindu University, Berhampur University, Sambalpur University, Ravenshaw University, F. M. University, Manipur University, Gujarat University, University of Kolkata, etc.
- OTHER PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION
- President, Indian Accounting Association, 2006-07.
- President, Odisha Commerce Association, 2013-14.
- Member, Board of Studies, Faculty of Commerce and Management, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack.
- Member, Board of Studies, Commerce, KIIT School of Social Sciences, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar.
- Member, Planning and Monitoring Board, SOA University, Bhubaneswar.
- Member, Board of Studies, Commerce & Integrated MBA, D. D. Autonomous College, Keonjhar.
- Member, Subject Research Committee in Commerce & Management, North Orissa University, Baripada.
- Member, Board of Studies in Commerce, North Orissa University, Baripada.
- Former Member, Board of Studies in Commerce, Sambalpur University, Sambalpur, Berhampur University, Berhampur and Fakir Mohan University, Balasore.
- Former Member, Board of Studies in Integrated MBA, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Former Member, Text Book Development Committee, State Council of Educational Research and Training, Orissa.
- Former Member, Subject Committee, DDCE, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Former Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Accounting, Journal of Commerce and Information Technology, Utkal Business Review and BIITM Business Review.
- Member, Editorial Board, Jigyasa, Research Journal of SKNSSBM, Pune.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Panel, Journal of Accounting and Finance, Jaipur.
- Former Counselor and Co-ordinator, IGNOU-M.B.A. Programme, Bhubaneswar.
- Member, Board of Moderators, Commerce, Council of Higher Secondary Education, Odisha.
- Subject Expert, Board of Studies, Commerce, Kendrapara Autonomous College, Kendrapara.
- Member, Advisory Committee for two National sports events, Sports Council, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2013.
- Former Member, Academic Council, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Former Member, Senate, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Former Member, Finance Committee, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Former Member, Quality Assurance Cell, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- General Secretary, Orissa Commerce Association, 2001-06;
- Conference Secretary, XXVII All India Accounting Conference & International Seminar, 2004.
- Vice President, Indian Accounting Association, 2004-06.
- Former Member, Advisory Committee, UGC-Academic Staff College, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Board of Trustees, Provident Fund, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2004-05.
- Member, Professional Bodies like Indian Commerce Association, Indian Accounting Association, IAA Research Foundation and Orissa Commerce Association.
- Reviewer, Vilakshan (XIMB), Indian Accounting Review (IAARF, Kolkata), Journal of Accounting and Finance (RDA, Jaipur) and Journal of KIIT Business School.
- Expert, Selection Committee, Orissa Public Service Commission, IMI, XIMB, MIITM, KIIT Business School, ASBM, Krupajal Business School, DAV School of Business Management, USBM, BIITM, Srusty Institute of Management, IBCS, SOA University, North Orissa University, UCO Bank, etc.
- Vice-Chancellor's nominee, member in the Governing Body, OEC-Center for Management Studies, Bhubaneswar.
- Member, Scientific Committee, International Conference on Corporate Governance in Bangkok, Thailand, organised by Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC), New Delhi on October 7-9, 2013.
- Guest Faculty, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar.
- Guest Faculty, S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai, 2005.
- Articles Published
- More than 70 articles in different national and international journals.
- Articles Published During 2009-14
- Presidential Address on Commerce Education and Research, The Orissa Journal Of Commerce, Vol. XXXIV, No. 2, January 2014.
- "Strategies for Improving Bottom Line: Some Observations", Finquest, February, 2014.
- “Decade of Innovations and Innovative Banking: Some Observations”, Finquest, March 2012.
- "Activity Based Costing: A Conceptual Study for Implementation in the Housing Sector", Co-author Mr. Braja B. Mishra, Search, January, 2012.
- “Growth of Mutual Fund Industry in India”, BIITM Business Review, July-December, 2011, pp. 4-13, Co-author: Dr. Pinku Paul.
- “Impact of Corporate Governance Behaviour on Firm Value: A Study of Literature”, International Journal of Economics & Managerial Thoughts, Vol. 1, No. 2, October-March 2010-11, pp. 24-30, Co-author: Ms. Pranati Mohapatra.
- “Youth Entrepreneurship and Strategic Marketing: A Case Study of a Young Entrepreneur”, The Utkal Business Review, 2010-2011, Vol. XXIII, pp. 31-38, Co-author: Ms. Kulveen Kaur.
- “Incredible India and Inclusive Growth: Some Observations”, Finquest, March 2011.
- “A Study on Factors Determining Buying Behaviour of Handicraft Items – With Reference to Handicraft of Orissa”, KAIM Journal of Management and Research, November – April 2010, Vol. 2, No.2, pp.24-34, Co-author: Dr. M. Dash.
- “Motivating Women Entrepreneurs in Orissa: An Enquiry into its Dynamics in a Comparative Setting”, Vilakshan, XIMB Journal of Management, Vol. VII, Issue No. 1, March, 2010, pp. 123-140, Co-author: Dr. S.K. Digal.
- “Reflections on Content Analysis of Indian Magazine Advertisements of 1995 and 2005”, International Journal of Business Research, Volume 10, Number 1, 2010, pp. 163-171, Co-authors: B. Panigrahi and R. Mishra.
- “Price Volatility, Trading Volume and Market Depth: Evidence from Indian Index Futures Market”, The Utkal Business Review, 2009-10, pp. 50-60, Co-author: Mr. S.K. Jena.
- “Purchase of Life Insurance: A Study on Investors’ Perception”, Search, January, 2009, pp. 1-10, Co-author: Dr. Pinku Paul.
- GUEST / KEY-NOTE SPEAKER / RESOURCE PERSON / INVITATION LECTURE (2010-14)
- Judge, Chancellor's Debate Competition in English, M.K.C.G. Auditorium, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, March 26, 2014.
- Chief Speaker, Annual Day Celebration of Commerce Society, B. J. B. Autonomous College, March 21, 2014.
- Guest of Honour, Inaugural Function, National Seminar on "Recent Issues and Challenge in Management and Technology", GIFT in collaboration with MCL, March 3, 2014.
- Resource person, Refresher Course in Commerce and Management, February 18, 2014.
- Resource person, Refresher Course in Library and Information Science, February 19, 2014
- Guest of Honour, Valedictory Session, 55th National Cost Convention-2014, The Institute of Cost Accountants of India, Mayfair Lagoon, February 24, 2014.
- Presidential Address, Inaugural Session, All Odisha Commerce Conference, P. N. Autonomous College, Khorda, February 23, 2014.
- Distinguished Speaker, UGC Sponsored National Seminar on "Ethics of Accountants: A Reality Check", Ramsaday College in collaboration with The Institute of Cost Accountants Of India, Kolkata Information Center, February 12, 2014.
- Chairperson, Technical Session-II, International Management Convention, 2014, Asian School of Business Management, February 7, 2014.
- Resource Person on Time Management, Commerce Seminar, Ramadevi Women's Autonomous College, January 25, 2014.
- Guest of Honour, UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Foreign Direct Investment: Boon or Bane", U. S. Mohavidyalaya, Mugpal, January 19, 2014.
- Returning Officer, Utkal University Teachers' Association 2014, December 23, 2013.
- Chairman, Technical Session- I, UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Development of MSMEs in Odisha: Challenges and Opportunities", Choudwar College, Choudwar, December 22, 2013.
- Chief Guest, Commerce Conclave 2013, DAV School of Business Management, November 16, 2013.
- Guest of Honour, Inaugural Function, U.G.C. sponsored National Seminar on "Greenfield Project Management", Salipur College, Salipur, November 23, 2013.
- Resource Person in Technical Session-I, "Strategic Measures for Economic Governance", Kushagra International Management Conclave - 2013, November 9, 2013.
- Guest of Honour, Inaugural Function for Overseas Participants, IIPM, Kansbahal, October 9, 2013.
- Chairman, Technical session-I, National Seminar on "FDI in Retail: Issues, Challenges and Implications", Vyasanagar Autonomous College, Jajpur Road, September 15, 2013.
- Guest of Honour, Welcome Ceremony, Kalinga Nagar Polytechnic, Goutam Buddha Sanskruti Bhawan, Jajpur, September 3, 2013.
- Keynote Address, Commerce Conclave-2013, Sai International College of Commerce and Economics, in association with Business Standard, August 31, 2013.
- Chief Guest, Induction Programme, Biju Patnaik Institute of IT and Management Studies, August 1, 2013.
- Chief Guest, Customer Meet, Syndicate Bank, Bhubaneswar, May 23, 2013.
- Chairman, Technical Session-II, National Seminar on “A Symbiosis of Ethical Integrity and Corporate Excellence”, Sponsored by AICTE, NIIS Institute of Business Administration, Bhubaneswar, May 18-19, 2013.
- Resource Person, Technical Session-I, National Seminar on “Strategic Measures for Economic Sustainability and Innovation”, KIIMS, May 18, 2013.
- Co-ordinator, Open Session, National Seminar on “Corporate Social Responsibility”, Department of Public Administration, Utkal University, May 10, 2013.
- Joint Director, International Seminar on “Innovation and Competitive Strategies for Sustainable Entrepreneurship”, P. G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University, 23-45 February, 2013.
- Chairperson, Technical Session-III, National Seminar on “Quality Enhancement in Professional Education”, Sponsored by NAAC, Srusty Academy of Management, February 8-9, 2013.
- Eminent Speaker of the Technical Session on “Financial Initiatives”, International Management Convention 2013, February 9, 2013, ASBM, Bhubaneswar.
- Joint Director, International Seminar on “Indian Insurance Industry: Sustainability in the Era of Globalization”, P. G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University, January 24-25, 2013.
- Chairperson, Technical Session-II, “Strategic Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies: Competitiveness and Globalization” Kushagra International Management Conclave 2012, November 17-18, 2012.
- UGC Sponsored National Conference on “Governance in Indian Capital Markets", UNS Mahavidyalaya, Khairabad, April 8, 2012.
- Chairman, Technical Session-I, National Seminar on “Promotion of Entrepreneurship in Emerging MSME Sectors: The Key to Sustainable Development of the Economy”, Nayagarh College, Nayagarh, August 25, 2012.
- Resource Person, National Seminar on “Strategic E-commerce in Emerging Economies”, Technical Session-I, KIIMS, April 21-22, 2012.
- Resource Person, National Seminar on “Globalization and Odisha-2020”, S. J. Institute of Management, May 26, 2012.
- Resource Person, U.G.C. NET Workshop, South Campus, University of Delhi, New Delhi, May 14-19, 2012.
- Guest, Students' Seminar of Mother’s Business School, April 27, 2012.
- Resource Person, Technical Session – I, National Seminar on Strategic E-Commerce in Emerging Economies, Sponsored by AICTE, GOI, Organised by KIIMS, Cuttack, April 21-22, 2012.
- Chairman, Technical Session – I, National Seminar on “Challenges and Opportunities of Retail Banking in India”, Sponsored by UGC, Organised by S.C.S. (Autonomous) College, Puri, March 25, 2012.
- Key-Note Speaker, National Seminar on “Climate Change, Natural Hazards and Resource Management”, organized by P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, March 16, 2012.
- Chief Guest, Inaugural Function, National Seminar on “Microfinance and Rural Development”, KBDAV College, Nirakarpur, February 26, 2012.
- Chief Guest, Inaugural Function, Seminar on “e-Commerce”, Betnoti College, Betnoti, February 24, 2012.
- Key-note Speaker, Inaugural Function, UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Accounting Standards, P.N. Das College, Kolkata, February 17, 2012.
- Guest, Inaugural Function, Programme on Import & Export Management, Conducted by FIEO, Govt. of India, Odisha Chapter, February 12, 2012.
- Chief Guest, Commerce Society Annual Function, U.N.(Autonomous) College of Science and Technology, Adaspur, February 8, 2012.
- Chief Guest, Special Session on Management, Inauguration of Management Development Training Programme for Overseas Participants, Indian Institute for Production Management, Kansbahal, January 12-13, 2012.
- Invited Speaker, UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Changing Paradigm of Accounting and Taxation in 21st Century, BRS College, Kolkata, in collaboration with West Bengal State University, Barrackpur, West Bengal, January 6, 2012.
- Resource Person, UGC Sponsored FDP, organized by UGC Academic Staff College, Utkal University, January 1, 2012.
- Presented paper in the Research Forum on “Institutionalization of CSR within Governance – A Primacy for Value Creation” in the Twenty-Third Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues, Beijing, China, October 16-19, 2011.
- Chief Guest, Seminar on “Globalization and Its impact on Indian Economy”, Cuttack College, Cuttack, November 16, 2011.
- Resource Person, Seminar on “Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility”, Mangala Mahavidyalaya, Kakatpur, Puri, November 3, 2011.
- Guest, Inaugural Function, Programme in Import & Export Management, Conducted by FIEO, Ministry of Commerce, Government of India, October 9, 2011.
- UGC-NET Workshop for Confidential Work, South Campus, University of Delhi, New Delhi, September 19-24, 2011.
- Chairperson, Workshop on “Structure of Seminar Paper and Effective Communication Skill” DAV School of Business Management, Bhubaneswar, September 17, 2011.
- Guest Resource Person, Gopabandhu Academy of Administration, Bhubaneswar, Training Course, sponsored by DoPT, Govt. of India, September 14, 2011.
- Resource Person, Gopabandhu Academy of Administration, Bhubaneswar, Training Course, August 5, 2011.
- Workshop on Accreditation Process of Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), USA, organized by AIMS and RCM, August 25, 2011.
- Resource Person, 23rd Annual Management Education Convention 2011, Theme: “Emerging Paradigms in Management Education”, Hotel Mayfair, August 26-27, 2011.
- Resource Person, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Orissa, Internal Meeting on “Two Decades of Economic Reform: A Way Forward”, July 29, 2011.
- Adviser, Internal Quality Assurance Cell, PN Autonomous College, Khurdha, July 27, 2011.
- Guest of Honour, Inaugural Function, Faculty Development Programme on “Entrepreneurship Development”, organized by GITA, Bhubaneswar in collaboration with IED, Odisha, July 15,2011
- Guest of Honour in the Valedictory Function, National Seminar on “Entrepreneurship: Innovations and Strategy”, Sponsored by AICTE, RCEM, Bhubaneswar, June 26-27,2011.
- Resource Person, Seminar on “Innovations in Commerce and Business Education”, SRUSTI Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, June 26, 2011.
- Resource Person, Programme on “General Management and Communication Skill”, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, EIRC, Bhubaneswar, June 9, 2011.
- Chairman, Technical Session – II, Theme: “IFRS and Indian Accounting Standards”, DEC sponsored National Seminar on Emerging Issues on Accounting and Finance, in association with Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata, May 31, 2011.
- Resource Person, Workshop on “Research Methodology”, KIIT University, School of Management, April 2, 2011.
- Chairman of Technical Session-I, National Conference on “ODL: Issues of Learning, Governance and Quality Assurance”, DDCE, February 12-13, 2011
- Chairman, Session – H, 10th International Accounting Conference, Taj Bengal, January 8-9, 2011, Kolkata.
- Distinguished Guest in the Inaugural Session, All Odisha CA Students Conference, 2010, ICAI, Bhubaneswar December 22-23, 2010.
- Guest and Resource Person, International Seminar on Management, Brihaspati College, Pokhara University, Nepal, April 3-4, 2010.
- Chief Guest, Commerce Society Function, Kamakshya Nagar College, February 10, 2010.
- Guest of Honour in the Inaugural Function of National Seminar on “Culture and Commerce in Power Shift Era”, Chandbali College, January 17, 2010.
- Foreign Tour Visited
- Visited China (2011), Singapore (2007), Kualalumpur (2007) and Nepal (2010). (Presented research papers in International Conferences in China and Kualalumpr as a Utkal University delegate; Visited Singapore as the President of Indian Accounting Association; Visited Nepal as an invited guest to two Institutes and in the International Seminar of a College).
- Social Responsibilities Undertaken
- Trustee of ‘Learning Community’, a NGO working in the field of commerce education for poor students in Odisha.
- Member, Art of Living, Bangalore; Member and Signatory, First State School Committee of Sri Sri Gnan Mandir Schools in Odisha (manages six schools in four tribal districts).