Dr. Kabir Mohan Sethy
Name : Kabir Mohan Sethy
Designation : Professor
Qualification : B.A., M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Phone No. : 91-0674-2587877
E-mail ID :
- Regional Planning
- Economic Geography
- Remotr Sensing and GIS
- M .Phil: 45 students submitted and awarded
- Diploma in RS GIS: 50 awarded.
- Awarded: 04
- Submitted: 01
- Registered: 08
|9||Jena,S.A, Sethy,K.M. (2008) “Characterization of Landcover/ landuse around Bhitarakanika Mangrove area, Orissa, India.” Eastern Geographer, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India.|
|1||Sethy K. M. (1990), Spatial Pattern of Religion in Orissa- A Geographical Study, EGS.- U Geographica vol- 1 1990, P G Department of Geography.|
|2||Sethy K. M., C. K. Acharya . (1993-94)- Trend of urbanization in Sambalpur District of Orissa. U- Geographica. Vol II & III.|
|3||Sethy.K.M. (2000) “Assessment of Air and Water Quality in Kiriburu Iron- ore Mines-An Environmental Study.’ Edited Volume, (Spatial Dimensions of geography, Proceeding volume) NAGI, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. India.|
|4||Sethy.K.M (1997)-Pattern Of Agricultural Landuse In Bolangir District, Orissa,EGS, Vol. 9& 10.|
|5||Sethy. KM, Yadav.S. (2002)-An Environmental Study of Solid Waste Management in Bhubaneswar City- The Deccan Geography, Vol- 40. No.2 July- Dec- 2002 (ISSN-0011- 7264)Pune University, Pune, Maharastra. India.|
|6||Sethy. KM, A K Routray (1998)â?" Water Pollution In And Around Rourkela Steel Plant.Resorce and Development Geographical perspective, Proceeding Vol. 1998.|
|7||Sethy,K.M. Nanda.P.(2007) Participatory Resources Utilization and Intervention impact in developed Watersheds: A Case study of Kuladere Nalle in Keonjhar Disatrict. Natural Resources Management and Sustainable Development, 2007. Proceedings of UGC sponsored National Seminar on Natural Resource Management and Sustainable development. Ravenshaw College Cuttack, Orissa, India.|
|8||Tripathy, S.N. and Sethy, K. M. Mohapatra, (2006) A “Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Urban Complex. Million Cities of India, Published by Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi[ Edited book by Professor R. P Mishra].2006.India.|
|10||Sethy,K.M., Meher,M.and Behera,D.& Ali. A (2010)”Socio-Economic status and Forest dependency of selected villages in and around Candaka wildlife Sanctuary, Orissa-a case study.” Juarnal of Spatial; Science, Vol-III- Number-1, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.|
|12||Sethy,K.M., Meher,M.and Behera,D.(2010)”Socio-Economic status and Forest dependency of selected villages in and around Candaka wildlife Sanctuary, Orissa-a case study.” (Juarnal of Sopatial; Science, ISSN: 0973-7642, Vol-III- Number-1, Osmania University,Hyderabad,India).|
|13||Sethy,K.M.and Patra.H (2010) “Assessing Impact of Iron Ore Mining on Land use /land cover in Gandhamardan Hills of Keonjhar District of Orissa, India Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques.” (Juarnal of Sopatial; Science, ISSN: 0973-7642, Vol-IV- Number-11, Osmania University,Hyderabad,India).|
|14||Sethy,K,M,Sulagna,S,and Payomply (2010)”Attended and presented paper at Berlin Conference on the Humanitarian Dimension of Global Environmental Change “Social Dimension of Environmental Change and Governance on topic Studies on the Impacts of Natural Hazard Driven Environmental Change on the Selected Coastal Community of Orissa, India. Berlin Conference-2010.Germany.|
|15||Meher.M.,Patra.h.and Sethy,K.M.(2010):Creating an empirically derived Community resilience Index for disaster prone area-A case study from Orissa State. “Disaster Risk and Venerability Conference, MG University, Kotayam, ISBN- 978-3-943321-03-06.|
|16||Meher.M.K & Sethy.K.M., (ISSN: 0973-7642, Jan- 2012, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XVIII, No.-1) - Farmer Decision on Cropping Pattern: A case study of Bagh Barrage Command Area of Boudh District, Odisha, India.|
|17||Singh B. P. & Sethy K.M., (ISSN: 0973-7642, Jan- 2012, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XVIII, No.-1) â?" Multistried Residencial Apartments is solution for the Housing Problems in India, A case study of Bhubaneswar City.|
|18||Baral. Subrata S., Sethy Kabir M. & Misra Bijoy Ku. (ISSN: 0973-7642, Jan. â?" 2013, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XIX, No.-1) - Spatial Distribution of Settlements in the Mahanadi Devi Doab.|
|19||Meher Manoj Kumar & Sethy Kabir M. (ISSN: 0973-7642, Jan. â?" 2013, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XIX, No.-1) -Land Use Planning for Agricultural Development in Bagh Barrage Command Area of Boudh District, Odisha.|
|20||Patra Himansu Sekhar & Sethy Kabir M. (ISSN: 0973-7642, Jan. â?" 2013, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XIX, No.-1) -Assessing the Impact of Iron Ore Mine on Surrounding Forest â?" A case study from Keonjhar District of Odisha, India.|
|21||Patra Himansu Sekhar & Sethy Kabir M. - Assessing the Impact of Open Cast Mines on Surrounding Land-use pattern:â?" A case study from Keonjhar District of Odisha, India.|
|22||Mishra Sandeep Ranjan, Bisht H.K., Sahoo D.P, Sethy K.M., Behera D.R. & Pradhan R.N (JOURNAL OF WILDLIFE RESEARCH) - Status Survey of Asiatic Elephant in Baripada Forest Division,Odisha.|
|23||Patra Himansu Sekhar & Sethy Kabir Mohan (J.Environ. Res. Develop. Vol.9 No.01, July- September 2014, ISSN: PARIS ISSN 0973 -6921) â?" Assessment of Impact of Open Cast Mine on Surrounding Forest: â?" A case study from Keonjhar District of Odisha, India.|
|24||Sethy.K.M & Sethi. B.K (Eastern Geographer, Vol. XX, No.-1 Jan. â?" 2014,pp.181-196 ISSN: 0973-7642) - Rural Women Empowerment through Self Help Groups(SHGs) â?" A keystone towards Rural Development: A case study of Lamptaput Block of Koraput Dist. Of Odisha.|
|25||Mishra Sweta & Sethy Kabir. Mohan - Climate Change and Poverty: Understanding Community Resilience to Climate Change in different regions of Odisha.|
|26||Sethy. K.M & Baliarsingh. S (Eastern Geographer, Vol. XX, No.-1 Jan. â?" 2014,pp.181-196 ISSN: 0973-7642) - Trend of Tourism in Puri â?" A Geo Cultural Analysis.|
|27||Sethy. K.M, Patra. H.S & Meher.M.K (Journal of Spatial Science, Vol.- V, No.II, March 2012, ISSN 0974-7125)- Assessing Impact of Iron Ore Mining on Land-use/ Land Cover in Gandhamardan Hills of Keonjhar District of Orissa, India Using Remote Sensing and GIS Technique.|
|28||Patra, H & Sethy K.M, (2014)- Assessment of impact of open caste mine on surrounding forest- A case study from Keonjhar District of Odisha. Journal of Environmental Research And Development, Vol.9 No.01, July â?"September 2014.|
|29||Patra, H & Sethy K.M, (2012), Assessment of impact of iron ore mining on Land use/ Land cover in Gandhamardan Hills of Keonjhar District of Orissa, India using Remote Sensing and GIS techniques. Journal of Spatial Science Vol- V No â?"II, March 2012.|
|30||D R Behera, K M Sethy, S R Mishra (2015)- Assessment of vegetation survey in the elephant (Elephas maximus) corridor areas of Orissa and Jharkhand states of India. IJMSET, ISSN 2349-3755.|
|31||M K Sukla, A K Mangaraj, L N Sahoo, K M Sethy (2012)- A Study of Seasonal Rainfall Pattern In the Mahanadi Delta of Odisha. Int. J. Agricult. Stat. Sci, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp 433-438, 2012.|
|32||M K Sukla, A K Mangaraj, L N Sahoo, K M Sethy (2012)- A comparative study of three models for the distribution of wet and dry spells in the Mahanadi Delta. New York Science Journal 2012;5(11).|
|33||Patra, H & Sethy K.M, (2015)- Assessing the impact of open caste mines on surrounding Land-use pattern: A case study from Keonjhar District of Odisha, India.Advances in Environmental Sciences and Engineering.|
|34||S Mishra, K M Sethy (2015)- Climate Change and Poverty : Understanding Community Resilence to Climate Change in different regions of Odisha.|
|35||Patra, H & Sethy K.M, (2014)- Assessing the impact of open caste mines on Floristic diversity : A case study from Gandhamardana hill of Keonjhar District of Odisha,IJENAS, ISSN : 2349-3763.|
|Environmental Degradation and its Management, organized by P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University. Vani Vihar, 1995.|
|One day State Consultancy on”Equitqble and Ambitious GlobalClimateAgreement in Cope21.Sponsered by CANSA, as a Organising partner. At Hotel Marrion, Bhubaneswar on 17th June 2015.|
|Attended one day State Consultancy “State Consultation towards Equitable and Ambitious Global Climate Agreement in COP2, participate in this one-day consultation as organsing partner to organize the event and thereby enable us to strengthen the global negotiation proc.|
|Attended 3rd Sub â??Regional Workshop organized at Kolkota from 12th -13th March 2015 as Chair for the Session “Climate Change Impact Monitoring/Assessment”|
|Two days workshop on Implication of Climate Change on Water Resource and Agriculture organized by “Knowledge Network Center on Flood and Waterlogging,” Supported by UNDP and AusAID during 25-26 th July2014 at Bhubaneswar.Odisha.|
|Two days lunching workshop of the “Knowledge Network Center on Flood and Waterloging,” Supported by UNDP and AusAID during 22-23 November,2013 at IIT Kanpur.|
|Attended 2nd Sub â??Regional Workshop organized at Dhaka from 25th -27th October ,2013 as Chair for the Session “Climate Change Impact Monitoring/Assessment”|
|Attended the “Regional Consultation and Review” held at Concern Worldwide Office at Dhaka from 11th to 16th December 2012.|
|Attended two days Sub Regional workshop on “Community Resilence to Climate Change in the Bay of Bengal” held at Bhubaneswar, chaired a session .12July to 14yh July, 2012.|
|Attended two days workshop organized by UNDP on “Climate Change Risk Reduction Through Integrated Water Management,Special focus on combating Floods and Waterloging”at Puri on 5th and 6th November 2012.|
|Attended and presented a paper in UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Geospatial Database for Natural Disaster Management and Planning” at Hyderabad, 25th and 26th March 2011.|
|Attended the Orissa Environmental Congress 2010 during 22nd â??to 24th December 2010 at Bhubaneswar.|
|Attended and presented a paper at 32th Annual Conference and National Seminar on Population and Public Health, November 28-30, 2010 at Bhubaneswar.|
|Attended and presented paper at Berlin Conference 2010. on the Humanitarian Dimension of Global Environmental Change “Social Dimension of Environmental Change and Governance on topic Studies on the Impacts of Natural Hazard Driven Environmental Change on the Selected Coastal Community of Orissa, India during October 8-9, 2010.Germany.|
|National Seminar on National Seminar on Geo-informatics and development at Dept. of Geography, Osmania University, Hydrabad on 22nd & 23rd March 2010.|
|National Seminar on Sustainability of Earth Resources - Strategies and Management Plans at Sambalpur University, Orissa during February 13th & 14th 2010.|
|Acted as Resource Person at Sambalpur University, Orissa for the “Base level Training in application of Remote Sensing in Mineral Exploration” held on dated 12th & 13th December 2009.|
|National seminar in Geography (DRS sponsored) on natural hazards organized by Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2009.|
|National seminar in Geography (DRS sponsored) on natural hazards organized by Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 2008.|
|National seminar in Geography (UGC sponsored) on natural resource management & sustainable development, organized by Ravenshaw University, Cuttack, 2007.|
|National seminar in History [UGC sponsored] Contribution of Prachi valley in the making of Orissan Culture, at Sishu Ananta Mahavidyalaya, Balianta,Khurdan 23rd and 24th Dec.2006.|
|Training Workshop on Consumer Protection and Welfare, Organised by Indian Institute of Public Administration, I.P. State, Ring Road, New Delhi-110002. From 11th July to 15th july 2005.|
|Regional workshop on “Flood management in Eastern region” Organised by Organisation for Disaster Management and Mitigation. 25 and 26 Feb. 2005.|
|Workshop on Micro Planning for watershed Development in Tribal regions of Orissa”, One day workshop on “Census Data Dissemination “.Organised by Census of India, Organised by CPSW,IRC Village, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. 2004.|
|National seminar Organised in collaboration with P.G.department of A and A Economics, Sponcerd by Department of Regional Planning. IIT Kharagpur.1999.Bhubaneswr, Orissa. August 2004.|
|International Seminar organized by P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Vani Vihar.|
|National Association of Geographers, India Organized by National Remote Sensing Agency, Hyderabad.|
|National Association of Geographers, Indian Organised by P.G, Department of Geography, Utkal University.|
|Indian Science Congress, 1989, Cochin University Cochin.|
|5||Prepared a pilot project for UNICEF in 2002 for infrastructural Planning in Nayagarh District, Orissa.|
|4||Prepared a pilot Project for Action Aid .India, in 2001 for construction of Cyclone Shelters in Erasama Block, Orissa. (As a Guest member).|
|3||Assisted Prof. B.N. Sinha in "Planning Atlas of North Eastern States" of India.|
|2||Assisted to Principal Investigator Prof. B.N Sinha in "Eastern Ghats Project" in Cartographic Works.|
|1||Assisted to Principal Investigator Prof. B.N. Sinha in Adivasi Atlas-1986.|
|6||Submitted Projects Modeling vulnerability and enhancing resilience of communities to the adverse effects of climate change in Rajnagar block of Orissa states in India. (IDRC, Canada).|
|7||Submitted Projects Ensuring Sustainable Livelihoods of tribal through participatory conservation programme at Banspal block of Keonjhar district, Orissa. (DST).|
|8||Submitted Projects Study of Bio-diversity in Gandhmardan hill of Eastern -Ghat with special emphasis to mining operation area of Keonjhar district. (Rufford).|
|9||Completed Projects : Pilot Project for construction of Cyclone Shelters in Erasama Block, Orissa. Duration: 2001 (April-June).|
|10||Completed Projects : Infrastructural Planning in Nayagarh District, Orissa. Duration: 2002 (Aug- October).|
- Professor in Geography,P.G. Dept. of Geography, Utkal University,24th March 2015
- Reader in Geography, P.G. Dept. of Geography, Utkal University, since – 26 Nov. 2003
- Sr. Lecturer in Geography, P.G. Dept of Geography. Utkal University, from - 26th November 1998 to 26th Nov. 2003
- Lecturer in Geography. P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar, from 26. Nov. 1991 to 26th Nov. 1998
- Demonstrator, P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar. 4. Nov. 1988 to 26. Nov. 1991
- Popular Lecturer
- Guest Lecturer for Department of GIS and Remote Sensing, North Orissa University- from 2003- to till date.
- Delivered 8 lectures on Urban and Regional Planning in the department of Public Administration, Utkal University-2007
- Delivered talk on application of Remote sensing and GIS in Natural Resources management, refresher course conducted by Academic Staff College, Utkal Universoity-2008.
- Delivered lecturer on conflicts in governance of Natural Resource and role of stakeholders Organised by Vasundhara, A state level policy and Advocacy group 2008.
- Delivered talk on Fundamental of Remote sensing and Aerial Photography in, refresher course conducted by Academic Staff College, Utkal Universoity-2009
- Delivered lector on River Mahanadi- its Origin and Destination, Regional Museum of Natural History-2009.
- Resource Person for the training programme on “EIA: From screening to decision making, undertaken by Vasundhara, Bhubaneswar, 2009.
- Delivered lecturer on use of GIS in tracking land use alternation, a case study of Bnaspal area of Keonjhar, supported by Concern world wide, 2008, Bhubaneswar
- Delivered talk on fundamental of Remote sensing and GIS in the High School Teacher training conducted by Nalini Devi Womens College, Bhubaneswar.-2010
- Delivered lecturer on use of GIS in resource mapping, Organised by Vasundhara with support from CESS, Hyderabad.
- Resource person for refresher course conducted by department of Earth Science, Sambalpur University on theme Application of Remotesensing and GIS on Agriculture.-2011.
- Key resource person for Use of GIS in watershed management, Organised by NIRMAN, a policy level advocacy group working at Nayagarh, January, 2011.
- Resource person for the training programme on “Geographical Information System(GIS)conducted by RCDC, Bhubaneswar, at Red Cross Bhawan.Bhubaneswar from 8th to 10th October,2012.
- Involvement in different organizations: (Honorary)
- M/s Global Expert, An Environmental consultancy agency located at BJB Nagar, Bhubaneswar.
- Vasundhara, A state level policy and advocacy group working on the field of Environmental conservation, based at Bhubaneswar.
- Nirman, A NGO working on the agricultural and traditional farming issue, based at Nayagada.
- KDF, A trust working on Renewable energy and climate change issue, based at Bhubaneswar.
- Participation in public forum
- Participated as a resource person in World AIDS Day-2010 organised by Utkal Sevak Samaj, funded by European Union.
- Participated as a member in “MIliMISSI”-2010, state level convention organized by INP + funded by Concern World Wide. for tow days(29-30 Nov. 2010}.
- Participated in Cuttack Mini Marathon for World Aids Day-2010 held on 1st Dec. 2010. organized by by Utkal Sevak Samaj.
- Administrative Experience
- Head of the Department, Dept. of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, 2011.
- Deputy co-ordinator , P.G Diploma in Remote sensing and GIS- Continuing
- Vice president Cultural club Utkal University student council- 1998-2001
- Member of the sport council, Utkal University- 2004
- Vice President athletic club- 2000-2005
- Assistance Superintendent Hostel No-3 (Gents)- 1993-1996
- Superintendent I/C Hostel No-04 (Gents) 2003-2004
- Assistance Superintendent Hostel No-6 (Gents) 2004-2006
- Superintendent Hostel No-6 (Gents) 2006- to Till Date.
- Associate Advisor, Utkal University Students Union-1992-1996
- Associate Advisor, Utkal University Students Counsil-2001-2009
- Treasure Eastern Geographical Society- 1993-1999
- Joint Secretary Eastern Geographical Society- 1996-Till Date
- Treasure Utkal University Teacher Association- 1992
- Joint Secretary Utkal University Teacher Association- 1995 & 1998
- Member Security Committee- 2009-2011
- Director Student Welfare-2011
- Estate OFFICER
- Secretary UUTA
- Development Officer-3rd May 2013 till Date.
- Completed Academic Staff Refresher Course at University of Pune from 08.11.2002 to 28. 11.2002 on Environmental Education ( Geography)
- Completed Academic Staff Refresher Course-1999 from 24.02.1999 to 23.03.1999.
- Completed Academic Refresher Course at University of Pune from 01.10.2001 to 27.10.2001.
- Completed winter Course at Asian Institute of Technology AIT/SERD Bangkok on "Planning for Environmental Sustainable Development in the Asia- Pacific Region" on 11. 29. Sept 2000.
- Completed 12 week Course in Application of Remote Sensing in Town and Country Planning from 05.07.1999 to 24.09.1999.( NNRMS) at Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, ( NRSA) Deheradun.
- Computer Course Completed on MS-DOS, MS-Windows WordStar, Lotus 123 and dBase III+ in 1996.
- Four- week course completed on " Remote Sensing Application in Town and Country Planning" from Indian Institution of Remote Sensing, Deheradun 1996.
- Completed Academic Staff Orientation 4-week course from 31.08.1994 to 27.09.1994.
- Training course on techniques of Research, Planning Monitoring and Evaluation of Tribal Development Programme-1992.
- Qualified CSIR (Fellowship for Research) in 1989 in Earth Sciences.
- Academic Involvements:
- Involved in departmental admission process both part-I part-II, M .Phil. and Doctoral Programme
- Involved in designing of course curriculum.
- Member Board of Studies in Utkal University for Geography.
- Member Board of Studies in North Orissa University for the dept. of Remote Sensing and GIS.
- Chairman.Board of Studies 2011-13.
- Chairman,Subject Research Committee.2011-1013.
- Chairman, Board of Studies, 2015-16
- Chairman, Subject Research Committee,2015-2017.
- Member in different confidential boards for the +3 and P.G. Examinations.
- Conducting Field Work for the P.G. Students (Urban and regional Planning) for last 20 years in different areas like Koraput, Chandaka, Brahmagiri, Paradeep, ect.
- Membership in Learned Societies
- Life Member in Eastern Geographical Society.
- Life member-of National Association of Geographers, India, New Delhi.
- Life Member of Indian Science Congress.
- Life Member of Indian Council of Geographers.
- Life Member of Regional Science Association.
- Life Member of Environmental Society, Orissa.
- Life Member, Deccan Geography.
- Life Member, Plant Lovers Association, Bhubaneswar.