Dr. Jatindra Kumar Nayak
Name : Jatindra Kumar Nayak
Designation : Professor
Qualification : B.A., M.A., Ph.D., M. Litt,
Phone No. : 0674-2548947 (R), 09337116987 (M)
E-mail ID : nayak(dot)jatin(at)gmail(dot)com
|1||Raibahadur Janakinath Bose Prize, 1975, 1977.|
|2||Madhusudan Das Memorial Gold Medal, 1974.|
|3||Madhusudan Das Memorial Gold Medal, 1975.|
|4||University Gold Medal for topping the list in the M.A. examination, 1977.|
|5||Radhakrishnan Memorial Bequest, University of Oxford, 1987, 1988.|
|6||Government of India Scholarship for Study Abroad, 1982-86.|
- Awards and Distinctions
- Attending Speaker, Think Literature Bhubaneswar Literary Festival organized by the Times of India, 7-8 December, 2012, November 2013, November 2014.
- Attending Speaker, Odisha Literature Festival organized by the New Indian Express during 5-6, October, 2012, 3-4 October, 2013, October 2015.
- Invited as Chief Speaker by Gangadhar Rath Foundation, 2012.
- Invited to attend the DSC Jaipur Literature Festival, 20-25, January 2012.
- Invited to participate in the Telegraph Orissa Debate held on 17 July 2010.
- National Broadcast on illustrated palm leaves, 2011.
- National broadcast on Fakir Mohan Senapati under the ‘Modern Indian Author Series’, 9 February 2010.
- Utkala Samman, Kolkata, 2006.
- ratibeshi Samman, Kolkata, 2005.
- Hutch-Crossword Indian Fiction Translation Award, 2004.
- Delegate at the Tenth SAARC Writers’ Conference,2004.
- Consultant(Report writing), ILO Report on Most Vulnerable Tribes in Orissa, 2003.
- KATHA Translation Award, 1997.
- Visiting Fellowships
- Department of English, Sambalpur University, 15-19 March, 2010; 11-16 March 2011, March 2013.
- Department of Comparative Literature, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 6-14 June 2009, 8-15 May 2006, 13-27 November 2000.
- Department of English, University of Delhi, 19-26 March, 2009.
- Department of English, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 15-29 March 1999.
- Member of Committees and Boards
- UGC- appointed Advisor, SAP-DRS programme, University of Tezpur, Assam.
- Member, State Library Committee, Government of Sikkim.
- Member, Raja Rammohun Ray Library Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Government of India, 2013-16.
- Member, Advisory Board, Dhaka Translation Centre, University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh.
- Member of the Expert Committee appointed by Government of Odisha for Classical Status of Odia, 2013.
- Member Language Advisory Board(Odia), Sahitya Akademi,2012-2017.
- Editorial Adviser, Imaging Odisha, ed. Herman Kulke, Prafulla, 2012.
- Reviewer of manuscripts and book proposals, Sahitya Akademi, National Book Trust, India, Oxford University Press, India.
- Member, Language Advisory Committee(Odia), Jnanapitha Award, 2012-13.
- Preliminary Panel Advisor, Yuva Puraskar, Sahitya Akademi, 2011.
- Member, Search and Selection Committee(English) set up by Presidency University, Kolkata.
- Convener, Bhasa Samiti(Oriya)Saraswati Samman, since 2010.
- Member, Bhasa Samiti(Oriya) Saraswati Samman, 2007-2009.
- Expert Member, Tagore One hundred and Fifty Years Commemoration Committee, Government of India(Eastern Zone) 2010-2012.
- Member, Selection Committee, Central University of Jharkhand, July 2010, July 2011.
- Member of the Jury for the Sahitya Akademi Translation Award (Oriya), 2006, 2010.
- Senior Adviser, Pilot Project on ‘Hidden Grammars of Transculturality: Migrations of Encyclopedic Knowledge and Power’, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 2008-2010.
- Member, Selection Committee, Central University of Orissa, Koraput, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Member, Syllabus Design Committee, Central University of Jharkhand, June 2009.
- Member, Syllabus Design Committee, Central University of Orissa, Koraput, July 2009.
- Member, Board of Editors, Memories and Mansions: The Story of the Three Raj Bhavans in Orissa, 2008
- Member, UGC Expert Committee for Inter-University Centre for Comparative Literature, 9 February 2007.
- Member, Selection Committee, Jadavpur University, 2007, 2001 & 2000, 2015.
- Member, Central Board of Film Certification (Orissa), 2001-2003.
- Subject Expert, UPSC.
- Life Member, Comparative Literature Association of India.
- Life Member, Oxford and Cambridge Society of India since 1990.
- Life Member, Merton College Society since 1989.
- Management and Co-ordination
- Coordinator, Puri Translation Workshop, CENTIL, Department of Comparative Literature, Jadavpur University, 30 May-3 June 2011.
- Member, University Research Committee, Utkal University since 2010.
- Coordinator, Orientation Course, Utkal University, January 2009.
- Member, Research and Development Committee, Utkal University since 2009.
- Director, DRS National Workshop on Translation, PG Department of English, Utkal University,2009.
- Member, Academic Council, Ravenshaw University, 2008-2010.
- Coordinator, Refresher Course in English, Utkal University, 2008 and 2009.
- Deputy Coordinator, Department of Development Journalism, Utkal University, 1999-2011.
- Head, PG Department of English, Utkal University, 2003-2005, 2013-2015.
- Translations from Odia into English
- A Time Elsewhere.Translation of the novel Desa Kala Patra by J P Das. Penguin India, 2009. (Vodafone Crossword Translation Award 2009 – Long list).
- A Fragile World (co-translator). Translation of poems by Bishnu Mohapatra. Poetry Connect, 2008.
- The Maternal Uncle.Translation of Fakir Mohan Senapati’s novel, Mamu. Rupantar, 2007.
- Six Acres and a Third (co-translator). Translation of Fakir Mohan Senapati’s novel, Chha Mana Atha Guntha. University of California Press, 2005; Penguin India 2006.
- Astride the Wheel. Translation of Chandra Sekhar Rath’s novel, Yantrarudha. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2003 (Hutch-Crossword Indian Fiction Translation Award, 2004).
- A Dialogue with Memory. Translation of Manoranjan Das’s autobiography, Smruti Sanlap. National Book Trust of India, 2002.
- Story of My Life (co-translator). Translation of Fakir Mohan Senapati’s autobiography, Atmajeevancharita. Sateertha, 1998.
- The Ninth of August (co-translator). Translation of Manoranjan Das’s play August Na. Sahitya Akademi, 1998.
- Translations from Oriya into English included in Anthologies
- ‘In Bondage’ by Basanta Kumari Pattnaik and ‘The Trap’ by Jasodhara Mishra included in One Step towards the Sun : Short Stories by Women from Orissa, Rupantar 2010.
- ‘The Corpse’ in Stories by Surendra Mohanty, Grassroots, 2006.
- ‘The Trap’ in Stories by Jasodhara Mishra, Grassroots, 2006.
- ‘My Visit to England’ written by Shoilabala Das included in Early Women’s Writing in Orissa: A Lost Tradition edited by Sachidananda Mohanty, Sage Publications, 2005.
- ‘The Homebound Bird’, Poem by Guru Prasad Mohanty included in Tara Khasibara Bela, 2004.
- ‘Nija Thikana’, Excerpt from the autobiography of Ganeswar Mishra included in Ganeswar Mishra Parikrama, 2004.
- Two chapters from Story of My Life included in Picador Book of Modern Indian Literature edited by Amit Chaudhury, 2002.
- A chapter from Story of My Life included in Penguin Book of School Days ed. Pallab Mehrotra.
- Translation of stories by Gopinath Mohanty, Rajkishore Ray and Jasodhara Mishra included in Beyond the Roots, National Book Trust of India, 1998.
- English Translation of a short story by Binapani Mohanty included in Imaging the Other, Katha, 1998.
- ‘Dawn’ by Bibhuti Bhusan Tripathy included in Quiet Flows the Mahanadi, Orissa Sahitya Akademi, 1998.
- ‘A Pilgrimage’ by Pitambari Devi included in Oriya Women’s Writing: Essays, Autobiography, Fiction. Sateertha, 1997
- ‘The Descent’ by Tarunkanti Mishra included in Katha Prize Stories, Katha, 1997.
- A World Elsewhere: Images of Kolkata in Oriya Autobiographies. Bhubaneswar: Department of English, Utkal University and Grassroots, 2010.
- Reflections on Literature and Culture: J P Das , Rupantar, 2010.
- Memory, Images, Imagination: Bengalis and Oriyas in Burma (1900-1948). Department of Comparative Literature, Jadavpur University, 2010.
- The Bone Garden and Other Stories, Rupantar, 2009. (Frank O Connor Award, Long list 2010). Orissa Inscribed
- Western Writing on Orissa. Rupantar, 2008.
- Embers and Ashes, Grassroots, 2008.
- Life’s Labyrinth, Grassroots, 2008.
- From Bondage to Freedom: Memories of the Freedom Struggle in Orissa. (co-ed) Rupantar, 2006.
- Meeting the Mahatma: Gandhiji’s Visits to Orissa. With a Foreword by Ramachandra Guha, Rupantar, 2006.
- Fakir Mohan Senapati: Perspectives on His Fiction. Prafulla, 2005.
- Reminiscences: Excerpts from Oriya and Bangla Autobiographies (co-ed). Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2004.
- Anatomy of Madness and Other Stories. Prafulla, 2002.
- Reviewer, Skills for Communicative English, Textbook for Class X, Board of Secondary Education, Government of Odisha, 2012-13.
- Understanding Hazards Dealing with Disasters (co-author). UNICEF/OSDMA, 2005.
- Endless Adventures: A Collection of English (co-ed). Orient Black Swan, 2011.
- A Future Without Shakespeare, accepted for publication in Revisiting Shakespeare, SagePpublications.
- ‘Gopinath Mohanty: A Centenary Tribute’, Indian Literature, September-October, 2014
- Re-viewing the West: A Perspective on Gyanakosh or Encyclopedia Orissana, Jadavpur Journal of Comparative Literature, 2012
- ‘Story-teller, Poet and Playwright:Three Odia Translations of Shakespeare’ in Orissa’, Shakespearean International Yearbook, , Tom Bishop,Sukanta Chaudhury(ed), Ashgate Publishers, U.K. 2012
- ‘Sacred Time Secular Space: The Printed Oriya Almanac.’ Science, Literature and Aesthetics. Ed. Amiya Dev, Centre for Studies in Civilisations, New Delhi, 2009.
- ‘Uses of General Knowledge: Lala Nagendra Kumar Ray’s Bibidha Ratna Sangraha, Allgemeinwissen und Gessellschaft. Ed.Paul Michel, Madeleine Herren, Martin Ruesch. Aachen: Shaker Verlag, 2007.
- ‘Negotiating Modernity: Fakir Mohan Senapati’s Patent Medicine,’ Cross-currents in Modern Short Story, Loreto College, 2006.
- ‘Farewell to Jane Austen: Uses of Realism in Vikram Seth’s A Suitable Boy’ (co-author) in Post-colonial Jane Austen. Ed. You-me Park and Rajeswari Sundar Rajan, London: Routledge, 2001.
- ‘Taming the Jungle: A Reading of Kipling’s The Jungle Book’ (co-author), Jadavpur Journal of Comparative Literature, 2001.
- ‘Character and Landscape in Scott’s Waverley,’ Journal of Literary Studies, 2001.
- ‘Translating against the Grain: Charles Dickens’s A Tale of Two Cities and Godavarish Mishra’s 1817’ (co-author), META, Canada, 1998.
- ‘Writing Peasant Life in Colonial India: A Comparative Analysis of Rev. Lal Behari Day’s Bengal Peasant Life and Fakir Mohan Senapati’s Chha Mana Atha Guntha’ (co-author), Toronto Review of Contemporary Writing Abroad, 1996.
- ‘Utilitarianism at Home and Abroad: A Comparative Study of Charles Dickens’s Hard Times and Fakir Mohan Senapati’s Chha Mana Atha Guntha’ (co-author), The International Fiction Studies, Canada, Vol.22, 1995.
- ‘Narrating Individuals; Narrating Communities: A Perspective on Three Indian Novels of Colonial Consciousness’ (co-author), Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla, Vol.1, 1994.
- ‘Literature and Society’ (co-author), Economic and Political Weekly, 19 January 1991.
- ‘Misunderstanding Fakir Mohan’ (co-author), Economic and Political Weekly, 21 November 1991.
- ‘Literature and Society’ (co-author), Economic and Political Weekly, 25 August 1990.
- ‘The Oriya Novel: A Decline of Faith’, Litt Crit., Vol.5, No.2, 1979. (Included as a chapter in P.K.Rajan (Ed.), The Growth of the Novel in India, Delhi: Abhinav Publishers, 1989.)
- ‘The Sense of History in Oriya Fiction’ New Quest, Vol. 36, 1982.
- ‘The Flight from Reality: A Study of the Short Stories of Kishori Charan Das’, Sambalpur Studies in Literature and Linguistics, 1981.
- ‘Autobiography as History: A Note on Orissa of My Times by K.C. Panigrahi’, Indian Scholar, Vol. 3, No.2, 1981.
- ‘History and the Novel’ (co-author), Jadavpur Journal of Comparative Literature, Vol. 18-19, 1980-81.
- Papers included in anthologies/ encyclopedias
- The Bhagabata, Imaging Odisha, Prafulla, 2012.
- Modern Odia Literature. Imaging Odisha, 2012.
- Forewords to Books
- Foreword to Kanakalata, 2014.
- Foreword to Bibasini, 2011.
- Foreword to The Drawing Master of Digapahandi, Avanti, 2011.
- Foreword to Udishyara Chitra, 2011.
- Foreword to Padmamali, Grassroots, 2005.