Dr. Krishna Chandra Rath
Name : Krishna Chandra Rath
Designation : Reader
Qualification : M.A., M.Phil., M. Sc., Ph.D.
Phone No. : 0674-2567209 (Residence)
E-mail ID : rath_kc(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in
- Regional and Rural Development Planning
- Quantitative and Mapping Techniques
- Computer Aided Spatial Analysis
- Statistical Data Analysis
- Natural Disaster Management
- Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System
- Social Research Methods
- M.A./M.Sc. (Geography)
- M. Phill. (Geography)
- PG Diploma in RS & GIS
- M.A. (Women’s Studies)
- M. Sc. (Environmental Sc.)
- Ph. D. (Course work)
- M. Phill Supervision: (25 Completed)
- M. A. Geography: (25 Completed)
- PG Dipploma in Remote Sensing & GIS: (25 Completed)
- M. A. Womens Studies: (10 Completed)
- M. Sc. Environmental Science: (08 Completed)
|1||Rath, K.C. and J.K. Routray, (1994) “Evaluation of the Integrated Rural Development Program and its Impact on the Rural Poor (Case Study of Cuttack District in Eastern India)”, HSD Working Paper, No. 52, ISBN #974-8256-21-9, HSD Program, School of Environment, Resources and Development. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.|
|2||Rath, K.C. and J.K. Routray, (1994) “Impacts of the Integrated Rural Development Program on the Rural Poor â?" A Case Study of Cuttack District in India”, Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development, Vol. IV, No. 1 & 2, pp. 118-145, Center on Integrated rural Development for Asia and the Pacific (CIRDAP), Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|3||Rath, K.C. and J.K. Routray, (1995) “Plot Acquisition for Self Build Housing in Bhubaneswar City, India: A Survey Study of the Problems of Plot Purchase and House Building in an Informal Housing Area”, Land Use Policy, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 81-97, Pergamon, Great Britain.|
|4||Routray, J.K., K.C. Rath and N.N. Sahoo, (1996) “Growth, Development and Planning of Bhubaneswar: A City in Eastern India”, CITES, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 79-96, Pergamon, Great Britain.|
|5||Karmakar, M., Rath, K. Ch., and Das, N. R. (2011); “Urban Poor and Physical Accessibility to Government Allopathic Dispensaries: A GIS Based Case Study of Bhubaneswar in Eastern India”, International Journal of Geoinformatics, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 73-78.|
|6||Rath, K. C., Das, N. R. and Samal, A. K. (2013) “Fluoride Endemicity Contrasts In Shallow And Deeper Aquifers:A case study of Bolagarh Block in Khurda District, Odisha, India”, International Journal of Earth Science & Engineering, Vol 6, No 5 (1), October 2013.|
|7||Rath, K.C. and D.K. Singh, (1993), “Rural-Regionalisation Strategy for Micro-level Planning: A Case Study of Hindol Subdivision in Dhenkanal District (Orissa)”, Eastern Geographer, Vol. 2, No. 1 & 2, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India.|
|8||Rath, K.C., N. R. Das (2008), “Impact of Urban Growth on Chandka Wildlife Sanctuary in North Western Urban Fringe of Bhubaneswar City in Eastern India”, Eastern Geographer, Vol. XIV, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India.|
|9||Rath, K. C. Samal, A. K., N. R. Das (2011) “Geological and Geomorphological Determinants of Fluoride Endemicity:A case study of Bolagarh Block in Khurda District, Odisha, India” Eastern Geographer, Vol-XVII, No-1, pp-131-136.|
|10||Rath, K. C. Sahoo, S., & N. R. Das (2012) “Landuse Dynamics along Natural Drainage Channels and Its Impacts: A case study in part of Bhubaneswar City in Eastern India” Eastern Geographer, Vol-XVIII, No-1, pp-17-20.|
|11||Rath, K. C. (2014) “Brick Kilns and Environmental Issues in the River Banks of Peri Urban Bhubaneswar City, India” Eastern Geographer, Vol-XX, No-1, pp-391-394.|
|1||Resources and Development: A Geographical Perspective, Proceedings of the International Seminar on Man, Culture, Environment, Natural Hazards and Resource Management, P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.|
|2||Hans, A , Das, M and K. C. Rath (2004) “Gender and Disaster: Identification of Issues and Training in the Context of Super Cyclone in Orissa”. School of Women’s Studies, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.|
|3||Hans, A , Das, M and K. C. Rath (2004) “Trainers Manual on Gender and Disaster Management” School of Women’s Studies, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.|
|4||Panda. S and K. C. Rath et al. (2008)The Atlas of Chilika, Chilika Development Authority, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.|
|5||Routray, J.K., K.C. Rath and N.N. Sahoo (2000) “Urban Land Development and Informal Settlement Planning: A Study on Bhubaneswar City in Eastern India”, Orissa Chapter, Institute of Town Planners India, Bhubaneswar and Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok.|
|1||Facility Survey of Health Units of Orissa.|
|2||Creation of Baseline GIS Database for Major Urban Areas of Orissa in order to Develop a DANTB-DSS (Decision Support System).|
|3||Social Capital Restoration Program of OSDMA(Strengthening Community Based Disaster Preparedness for Disaster Impact mitigation of women as a special vulnerable group) (2004).|
|4||Status of women of Orissa â?? a Gendered District Profile, (2003).|
|5||he Gender Chapter for Orissa Human Development Report by UNDP, New Delhi (2002).|
|6||Development of Village Level Digital Spatial Database for Jagatsinghpur District for further GIS based Applications (2002).|
|7||Natural Resource Degradation and Environmental Impacts in Orissa Coastal Plain: A Micro-Regional Analysis of Bhitarkanika-Rajnagar Coastal Zone (2003-2005).|
|8||A spatial study of fluoride contamination in drinking water from ground water sources to explore the factors responsible and to facilitate the preventive management of the fluorosis problem in Bolagad block of Khurda District in Orissa (2008-10).|
|1||Recipient of the Canadian International Development Agency Scholarship and Research Grant in Human Settlement Planning in Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok for the Masters Program in Rural-Regional Development Program (From May’91 to Dec’92) of the HSD Division, AIT, Bangkok.|
|2||National Scholarship, Govt. of India during1985-87 for Post Graduate Study in Geography, Utkal University.|
|3||Merit Scholarship, Govt. of Orissa, India during 1981-83.|
|4||Recipient of Eastern Geographical Society Prize for presenting a paper entitled “Morphometric Characteristics and Geomorphology of the Budhabalanga River Basin” of the Annual Conference of 1987, held at the Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.|
- Research Scholar in the UGC Sponsored Research Project “Shelter Environment and Settlement Planning in Rural Orissa”, P.G. Dept. of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India. (Principal Investigator: Prof. D.K. Singh). In this capacity, I was involved in field survey, data collection and analysis from 01-08-1987 to 31-08-1989.
- Demonstrator in Geography from 03-02-1989 to 02-02-1990, 08-05-1990 to 19-05-1990 and 04-10-1990 to 15-04-1991, Regional College of Education, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Lecturer in Geography from 03-02-1990 to 30-04-1990, Regional College of Education, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Research Associate, from 01-02-1993 to 31-01-1996, HSD Program, Asian Institute of Technology, GPO Box-2754, Bangkok-10501, Thailand.
- Consultant in NGO, from 01-06-1996 to 09-09-1996 in CYSD, Orissa (Center for Youth and Social Development).
- Research Officer at Natural Disaster Management Cell, from 15-10-1996 to 02-11-1997 in Gopabandhu Academy of Administration, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Lecturer in the P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar, India from 03-11-1997 to 02-08-04.
- Reader in the P.G. Department of Geography, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar, India from 03-08-2004 and continuing
- Life Membership
- Eastern Geographical Society, Bhubaneswar, India since 1992
- National Association of Geographers India, New Delhi since 1989
- Society for International Development, Rome, Italy since 1994
- Associate Member of Institute of Town Planners India, New Delhi since 1994
- Regional Science Association, Calcutta, India since 1994
- Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Derhadun. India since 1999
- Geology and Geography Section of the Indian Science Congress Association, Calcutta, India since 1996
- Orissa Environmental Society, Bhubaneswar, India since 1998
- Indian Association for Women’s Studies, Mumbai, since February 2002
- International Association of Hydrological Sciences, UK
- Indian Society for Geomatics
- Indian Meteorological Society
- Indian Association for Social Science & Health
- Indian National Cartographic Association
- Committee Membership
Sl Name of Committee Organization Role/ Position 1 Science Seminar D.A.V Public School Judge 2 Documentation, Publication and Seminar Committee Odisha Regional Chapter,ITPI Nominated Member 3 Professional Consultancy and Evaluation Committee Odisha Regional Chapter,ITPI Nominated Member 4 Professional Consultancy and Evaluation Committee Odisha Regional Chapter,ITPI Nominated Member 5 56th Executive Committee Odisha Regional Chapter,ITPI Member 6 Selection Committee Regional Institute of Education Subject Expert 7 52nd Executive Committee Odisha Regional Chapter,ITPI Member 8 Selection Committee Utkal University Member 9 Standing Committee Utkal University, School of Women's Studies Member 10 Selection Committee Chilika Development Authority Member 11 Standing Committee of School of Women's Studies Utkal University, School of Women's Studies Member 12 Scocial Science Modelling Competition SAI International School Guest Judge 13 Selection Committee Chilika Development Authority Member 14 Syllabus Committee Planning & Co-ordination Department Member 15 Paper Setting & Examination Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board Confidential Expert 16 Advisory Committee Computer Centre, Utkal University Member 17 Advisory Committee Computer Centre, Utkal University Member 18 Selection Committee Chilika Development Authority Member 19 Academic Affairs Committee Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok (September 1991 to January 1992) Member 20 Executive Council Indian Meteorological Society-Odisha Chapter Jt. Secretary-member 21 Organizing Committee 4th International Geography Congress, Jointly Organized by NAGI & P. G. Dept. of Geography, Utkal University Organizing Secretary 22 Executive Committee Eastern Geographical Society Secretary
- Research Papers in Proceedings/Books
- Rath, K.C., J.K. Routray and D.K. Singh, (1999) “Land Transaction and Management Practices within Informal Settlement: A Case Study of Bhubaneswar City in India” in Geography. Development and Change” Edited D.K. Singh et al., Association of Marketing Geographers of India, Gorakhpur.
- Rath, K.C. and N. R. Das (2002), “Environmental Risk Assessment Using Remote Sensing and GIS: A Case Study of Spatio-Temporal Growth of Weed in Chilika Lagoon Ecosystem” Proceedings of the National Seminar on Environmental Risk Analysis and Management, P.G Course in Environmental Science, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar
- Rath, K.C., N. R. Das and Mithun Karmakar (2003), “Prioritization of Districts for Better Mitigation Planning of Agricultural Drought Using Geographical Information System: A Case Study of Orissa in India.” Proceedings of the National Seminar on Mitigation of Environmental Hazards, P.G Course in Environmental Science, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar
- Das, M.R., N. R. Das and M. Karmakar and K.C. Rath (2004), “A GIS Based Approach for Qualitative Assessment of the Potential and Utilization of Ground Water Resources in Orissa for it Sustainable Management Planning.“ Proceedings of the International Seminar on Advanced Modeling Techniques for Sustainable management of Water Resources, National Institute of Technology, Warangal.
- Rath, K.C., N. R. Das and M. Karmakar (2004), “Remote Sensing and GIS Based Analysis of Water Logging Problem in Coastal Orissa: A Case Study of Puri District.” Proceedings of the National Seminar on Management of Coastal Ecosystem, P.G Course in Environmental Science, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar
- Rath K.C. , and R.N. Samal (2004) “Geoinformatics and Its Utilities” Proceedings of the International Seminar on GIS in the Service of Mankind” Organized by AICTE, New Delhi and C.V. Raman College of Engineering and Information technology, Bhubaneswar
- Rath, K. C. Rath (2006) “Evolution of Geographical Information System: A Journey from Pre-Historic Maps to Geoinformatics” Souvenir, Expert User Interaction Meet, Organized by Geoenvitech Research and Consultancy Services Pvt Ltd, Bhubaneswar
- Rath, K.C., N. R. Das (2008), “Environmental Issues due to Developmental Activities in the Bank of River Kuakhai in Urban Fringe of Bhubaneswar” in Edited book published by P.G Department of Botany, Utkal University, Vanivihar, Bhubaneswar
- Rath, K. C. Rath (2008) “Bhubaneswar, A Journey from Historical Town to Urban Complex”, Souvenir and Abstarct volume of the National Seminar on Human Vulnerability to Cyclone Hazards in the Coastal Regions, Eastern Geographical Society, Bhubaneswar.
- Rath, K. C., M. Karmakar N. R. Das (2009) “Urban Health Care Planning using Geographical Information System: A Case Study of Emergency Health Care Facilities Bhubaneswar City in Eastern India” Souvenir 2009 of East Zone Conference, Institute of Town Planners India
- Rath, K. C., N. R. Das & Kar, M. (2012) “Women Representation in Local Self Government: A Districtwise Spatial Study of Odisha” in “Social Exclusion & Gender: Some Reflections” (Ed.), Abhijit Publications, pp-192-200