(A) INTERNATIONAL LEVEL:
- Presented a paper entitled Patient Organization and Stem Cell Research in India, at an international conference organized by the Centre for Bionetworking, University of Sussex, on ‘Patient Organization and Activism around the World’ held on May 18-19, 2015 at the Holiday Inn, Brighton, East Sussex, UK.
- Presented a paper entitled Strategic linking and stem cell therapy enterprise in India: a case of an Indo-Japanese stem cell centre, presented at the End of Award International Conference on Bionetworking in Asia held at University of Sussex, UK, 12-13 November 2014.
- Presented a paper entitle “Screening Culture”: Population genetic screening and emerging healthcare inequalities among tribal and marginalized communities in India”, at 4th Annual Global Health Conference 2014, Genetics, Genomics and Global Health – Inequalities, Identities and Insecurities, 18th July 2014, Conference Centre, University of Sussex.
- Participated in the 6th World Congress on Preventive and Regenerative Medicine organized by jointly by the World Federation and World Institute Preventive & Regenerative Medicine (WFWI-PYRAMED), ETI Dynamics, UK and KIIT University, Bhubaneswar between 14-16 November 2014 at KIIT campus, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Attended the 8th Anniversary Symposium on Stem cells and Regenerative Medicine organized by Nichi-In Centre for Regenerative Medicine, Chennai on 19th October 2013 in Chennai, India.
- Co-organized a, international Deliberative Interview Workshop on Patient needs and stem cell therapy in India (jointly with Centre for Bionetworking, University of Sussex and SOCHARA, Bangalore) on 5th October 2013 at St. Johns Hospital campus, Bangalore.
- Presented a paper on Socio-ethical and health issues in population genetic screening and biobanking research among tribal communities in India at the 5th SIGENET international, inter-disciplinary conference on “Genetics, Ethnicity and Discrimination” held from 2-6 May, 2013 at Kunming, PRC China.
- Presented a research paper on Bionetworking and Institutional embeddings in stem cell therapy enterprise in India, at the international workshop on Bionetwrorking in Asia, held between 12-16 December 2011 at the Department of Anthropology, University of Sussex, UK.
- Presented a paper on Science, ethics and culture in the context of population genetic screening among tribes of India, at the International conference on Culture, Health and Ethics, held between 8-9 September, 2011, at the University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Presented two research papers entitled (1) International collaborations – access to and secrecy in the life sciences, and (2) Experimental stem cell therapy: bionetworking in Japan and India, (jointly with Margaret Sleeboom-Faulkner) at an international conference held at Department of Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge between 13-14 March 2010 at Cambridge, UK.
- Participated in the Biomedical Ethics School on Sex, Gender and Ethics, organized jointly by the Wellcome Trust, UK and Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai between 29 November and 03 December 2009, at Mumbai, India.
- Delivered a lecture on Patient recruitments through ‘bionetworking’: the case of ‘experimental’ stem cell therapy at the international conference on “Beyond the embryo: translational, transdisciplinary and transnational perspectives on stem cell research” held between 13-15 November 2009 at the Brocher Foundation, Geneva, Switzerland
- Presented a research paper on Bionetworking typologies and promotion of stem cell therapy in India: ethical, social and policy issues, at the international conference on ‘Mapping the Genomic Era: Measurements and Meanings’, organized by ESRC Genomic Network, held between 9-12 October 2009 at University of Cardiff, UK.
- Presented two papers (with Margaret Sleeboom-Faulkner) (1) “Experimental adult stem cell therapy in India: bionetworking and patient recruitment”, and (2) “Experimental stem cell therapy in Japan and India: Bionetworking, biohierarchies and boundary objects” at the international conference The Cultural Politics of the Life Sciences in Asia – opportunities, risks and the changing body, organized by the International Institute for Asian Studies, 10-11 April 2009, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Participated as discussant in International Science and Bioethics Collaborations Colloquium (ISBC) Friday, 9 January to Saturday, 10 January 2008, Location: CRASSH, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- Presented a research paper “Tall claims and dubious practices: the state of stem cell research, therapy and regulations in India” at the International symposium on The Social Regulation of Stem Cell Research: Lookingbeyond regulatory exteriors in Asia held on 15 December 2008 at the Departmnet of Anthropology, University of Sussex, UK.
- Presented a research paper Emergence of Risk Perceptions in Genetic Health Care Intervention Programmes among the Marginalized Communities in India at the international conference on Acting with Science, Technology and Medicine, organized by Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) and European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST), between 20 – 23 August 2008 at Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Presented a paper Traditions versus the State? Everyday Experiences with a Governmental ‘Tribal’ Developmental Project in Uttaranchal at a seminar organized by International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) at Leiden University, on 22 July 2008, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Presented a paper and attended the Summer Institute on Genomics and Populations organised by Cesagen, ESRC Genomics Network , CSG and Lancaster University, between 22-26 June 2008at Low Wood Hotel, Lake Windermere (The Lake District) and Lancaster University, UK.
- Presented a research paper entitled ‘Informed consent and benefit sharing in genetic research and biobanking in India : an anthropological perspective’ International Conference for Junior Researchers on “Justice, Fairness and Biobanking – Conflicting Concepts? Ethical, legal and social perspectives regarding the claims for personal integrity, social obligation and sharing of benefits, October 2007 and also attended a follow up Conference in February 2008, Phillipps-University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany.
- Presented a paper (by Jyotsna Agnihotri-Gupta) ‘The concept of informed consent revisited: How informed and how voluntary is consent in the genetic clinics and generation of genetic databases in India?’ IV Fourth CESAGen/ CSG International Conference on Genetics and Society: Retrospects and Prospects, March 2007, Royal Society, London, UK.
- Presented a paper entitled ‘Ethical issues in healthcare research for the marginalized communities in India in the age of genomics’ Master Class on Ethics, Disease and Care with Professor Arthur Kleinman, 23 November 2007 at International Institute for Asian Studies, Leiden University, Leiden, the Netherlands.
- Delivered an invited lecture on ‘Indian Tribal Communities and their role in Genetic Research and Genomics- An Anthropological Perspective’ BBE Open Research Seminar at The Ethics of Genetic Population Studies, held in November 2006 at Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Presented a research paper, “Genetic Bio-banking in India: A Community-based Perspective on ways and means of Data Management” 2006 ELSI Symposium Reexamining the ELSI Implication of Biobanking: A Cross Culture Perception, held between 15-17 September 2006 at Taipei inTaiwan.
(B) NATIONAL LEVEL
- Presented a paper entitled Bionetworking of Cell Flow: the Trajectories of Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Banking and Translation in India at the INCAA Indian Anthropology Congress’s National Seminar on “Tribal Transformations in Contemporary India: Issues and Challenges” held on 21-23 February 2015 at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, India
- Presented a paper entitled New Horizons in Medical Anthropology at the National Seminar on “Medical Anthropology in India: Bio-cultural Perspective” held on 24th and 25th March 2011 in the CAS Department of Anthropology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, India.
- Attended the Third Annual symposium and plenary session on Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, organized by Nichi-In Centre for Regenerative Medicine, 11th October 2009, at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Attended the 1st International Stem Cell Summit, India, organized jointly by Department of Biotechnology, IIT-Madras and Life Line Hospitals, Chennai between 14 – 16 November 2008, at IIT-Madars, Chennai, India.
- Presented a research paper (with Prof. A.K. Kapoor) on ‘Bioethical issues in biobanking in India; what we anthropologists need to debate?’ as Keynote speaker at the National Seminar on Biological Diversity among Indian Tribes – Issues and Management of Health and Environment, , Department of Anthropology, 18-21, December 2006, University of Delhi, Delhi, India.