Department of BotanyGo Back
Established in 1969, the PG Department of Botany, Utkal University, is recognized for excellence in teaching and research in major areas of Plant Science in general. The Department offers Post-Graduate Course (M. Sc.) for two years duration for which admission is made through All India Entrance test in addition to 50% weightage on career. There is semester system of examination along with regular internal evaluation.
The Department offers four specializations (Biotechnology and Plant Genetic Manipulation, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Environmental Biotechnology and Microbial technology) to the students of the Final Semester. In addition the Department offers M. Phil and Ph.D. programme. The M. Phil programme is for one year containing one General and one Elective paper. The students also submit a dissertation on their elective subject because besides giving presentation.
The Department provides space for Self Financing Coursers in M.Sc. & Ph.D in Applied Microbiology and in Environmental Science. The Department has received funds from UGC [under DRS Programme in three phases] and DST [FIST Prgogramme in two phases]. In addition the faculty members receive funds individually or in groups, from various extramural funding agencies (DBT/ICAR/DST, Govt. of Odisha, Central Silk Board, , Indian Medicinal Plant Board, Indian Bureau of Mines and National Remote Sensing Agency etc.). in addition to class room teaching, guest lectures, seminars, elocution completions and quiz tests are conducted regularly for training and overall skill development of the students.
The students, staff and invited guests deliver lectures in the weekly seminars. The students visit CSIR-IMMT (Institute of Mineral and Material Technology), DBT-ILS (Institute of Life Sciences), ICMR-RMRC ( Regional Medical Research Centre) Located at Bhubaneswar and Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur for advance practical training. Several students of the Department have qualified NET and GATE, have joined various research Institute like IIT Kharagpur, IIT Mumbai, JNU, Delhi University, Institute of Life Science, Bhubaneswar and ICAR-NRRI (National Rice Research Institute), Cuttack. A few of our students have proceeded to USA for doctoral and post-doctoral research. Most of the faculty members have availed foreign fellowships and worked in advanced laboratories in India abroad.
The Department hosted 7th Orissa Bigyan Congress once and also organized the Annual Conference of Orissa Botanical Society Several times. Besides several national seminars, symposia and workshops are regularly being held.
Name : Chinmay Pradhan
Designation : Reader & HEAD
Qualification : M.Sc, M.Phil & Ph.D
Phone No. : +91-9861013699, +91-9438676755
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Name : Pradeep Kumar Chand
Designation : Professor of Botany & Director, UGC-Human Resource Development Centre
Qualification : Ph.D. (Nottingham, UK)
Phone No. : +91-8895300135
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
Name : Anath Bandhu Das
Designation : Professor
Qualification : M.Sc., Ph. D., D.Sc. (Botany)
Phone No. : +91-9437633091, +91-8895477238
E-mail ID : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Name : Bhabatarini Panda
Designation : Lecturer
Qualification : M. Sc., PhD.
Phone No. : 8895294729
E-mail ID : email@example.com
Name : Bandana Kullu
Designation : Lecturer
Qualification : M.Phil, Ph.D
Phone No. : +91-9937622193
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
Name : Saroj Kumar Sahu
Designation : UGC-Assistant Professor
Qualification : M.Sc., M.Phil,Ph.D (Atmospheric and Space Sciences)
Phone No. : +91-94-39919236
E-mail ID : email@example.com
Courses Outline: M.Sc. (Semester pattern).
The Department maintains a botanical garden since its inception. A treasure of plant wealth, conservatory of rare and endangered species, trees and shrubs it caters to the needs of young botanist of today. The Department also maintains a Herbarium for its use as a reference material for botanists of the State of Odisha.
The Department extends full support and facility to young research Scholars engaged in work at different laboratories. The research groups in different specialized areas regularly publish in peer reviewed journal of repute in their field. A number of research projects funded by several private enterprises (NALCO, MONET, NINL, OPGC etc.). The Department has executing the DRS-SAP III Programme since 2013 and DST- FIST since 2015. The Department brings together past and present students on the alumni meet as an annual event on a statutory date i.e. the 3rd February every year and a news letter named “Sanjog” is brought out on the occasion by the Old Students Association. The Department has been functioning as the central secretariat of Orissa Botanical Society for last 40 years.
Thrust Areas of Research
- Molecular Cytogenetics and Molecular Taxonomy
- Genotoxicity and Stress Biology
- Plant Genetic Transformation
- Biodiversity and Environmental Monitoring
On Going Projects / Research
- UGC major research project "Molecular screening of mungbean (Vigna radiata [L.] Wilczek.) germplasm for biotic and abiotic stress tolerance" 2012-2015 by Prof. P. K. Chand, Prof. A. B. Das, Dr. C. Pradhan.
- UGC major research project entitled "Expression of antioxidant enzymes in Abutilon indicum under metal stress" 2013-2016 by Prof. S. L. Sahoo and Dr. S. Mohanty.
- UGC major research project entitled "Enhanced ethanol production from sweet potato (Ipomoea batatus)" 2012-2015 by Prof. R. C. Mohanty and Prof. S. L. Sahoo.
- UGC major research project entitled "Identification and Biological Evaluation of some promising Anti-Diabetic plants from Tribal-rich pockets of Orissa, 2012-2015 by Dr. Dr. S. Mishra, Dr. S. Sahoo, Dr. K. B. Satapathy.
- CSIR major research project entitled "Management of chromium toxicity stress by phytoremediation technology" 2012-2015 by Prof. H. K. Patra.
- NALCO major research project entitled "An impact on flora and fauna biodiversity due to Bauxite Mining Project at Panchpatmali Central and North Block ML" 2014-2015 by Dr. K. B. Satapathy, Prof. P. K. Chand, Dr. S. P. Parida.
- Odisha Biodiversity Board minor research project entitled "Documentation of epiphytic and epilithic lichen biodiversity in 'Kapilas' and other protected forests of Dhenkanal of Odisha" 2014-2015 by Dr. K. B. Satapathy, Prof. P. K. Chand, Dr. A. Mohapatra